Use ?STAY? correctly in English language
Sometimes English language learners have problems in using the verb ?To Stay? in the correct situations. This is often due to interference from their own native language.
Stay can be used in the following situations:
1. Stay in the sense of ?not move?
- Johnny, I?m just going into this shop to buy a newspaper. Stay her near the door until I come out.
- OK, mummy.
- Lucky! Here boy! ?? (His dog returns to his side) Good dog! Sit! Stay! (don?t move)
2. Stay in the sense of not leave, remain in a place.
- Mr. Smith: Gerard and Sandra I have to talk to you about your homework project. Can youstay for 5 minutes at the end of the class?
- Gerard: I?m sorry Mr.Smith, but we can?t stay because we have a Maths exam. If you want we could stay after school.
- Mr. Smith: OK. That?s fine. Let?s meet at 4.15 in my classroom ?.
- Yesterday we went to John?s birthday party. It was very good. We stayed until three in the early morning.
- We didn?t go skiing last weekend. John was ill, so we stayed at home
- I heard that Leo Messi is going to play for Manchester United next year.
- No! that?s not true. He?s staying in Barça.
3. Stay in the sense of sleep somewhere:
When I go to England I usually stay at my mother?s house ( I sleep there);
It?s very late, I think you?ve missed the last train. We have a spare bedroom, why don?t youstay here? (sleep at our house);
I don?t like staying in hotels when I?m on holiday, I prefer to rent an apartment. Then I canstay in bed all morning and have breakfast when I want to.
- Saying 'no' Nicely
By Kenneth Beare, About.com Guide Sometimes you need to say no when someone makes a suggestion, offers something or asks you to do something for them. Of course, saying just 'no' can be rather rude. Here are some of the most common ways...
- How Long Does It Take To Learn English Or Other Foreign Language?
Most people believe that to learn to speak a foreign language like English well, they need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars and pass through years learning grammar, vocabulary and practicing before they can develop any fluency. How long does...
- Taking The Frustration Out Of Phrasal Verbs
AA: I'm Avi Arditti with Rosanne Skirble, and this week on Wordmaster -- English teacher Lida Baker joins us from Los Angeles to talk about phrasal verbs. The first word is a verb. The second word, sometimes even a third, is usually a preposition....
- A Good English Foundation
"If you're interested, you'll do what's convenient; if you're committed, you'll do whatever it takes." John Assaraf Do you know what the word "Intool" means? If you look up, you might find it or not. However - don't worry- on this...
- How To Read English Texts If You Want To Improve Your English
By Tomasz P. Szynalski, Antimoon.com Reading for content Normally, when reading a text, people use a strategy that I call "reading for content". The goal of this strategy is to get the main idea of the text as quickly as possible and with as little effort...